It’s that time of year again: to think about 2014 and what I hope to accomplish. 2013 was a year of big events and accomplishments and I think 2014 will be a year of improvement. Starting with a big one.
1. Marriage. I’m not going to lie and say it was all rainbows and smiles over here…2013 was a tough year for us. I can say that it was our most challenging year and it tested us immensely. I was so focused on being a good mother to Madelyn while trying to maintain my own self-identity that I completely neglected my marriage and my husband. We hit a turning point in our marriage in the middle of this year and realized that things needed to change in order for this to work. So, my goal is to make more time for “us”, have fun, get back to where we were and try to let the little things go. The last part is definitely not my personality, but I’m a work in progress 😉
2. Mother/Daughter dates. Madelyn is the coolest little girl I know. She’s so smart, it amazes me every single day. She’s growing up WAY TOO FAST. I wish life had a pause button sometimes. Now that she’s a bit older and mobile, I want to make more time to do stuff with her besides shopping and grocery store trips. I have 3 day weekends and I need to start taking more advantage of them. I also need to get her into some kind of swim class or other sport to burn off some of her energy. She is constantly on the go!
3. Run my fastest 1/2 marathon. This year I earned a half-marathon PR without even trying. Next year, I’d like to focus on getting faster and at try to run it a little bit faster. I have a time goal in mind, but I’m keeping that to myself 😉
4. Complete my first mud run. When hubs did tough mudder a few years ago, I said there was absolutely no way that I would ever do one with him. Now, I’m changing my tune 🙂 They look like a of fun so I’m hoping to either do Tough Mudder or another muddy obstacle course race.
5. Keep better track of what I’m eating. I love to eat. When I was marathon training, I didn’t track calories, but I made a more conscious effort to eat well because I noticed a difference in my running the next day if I ate crappy food the day prior. After the marathon, that kind of fell off so I’m working at it again. I don’t plan on counting calories, but just writing down what I eat just to make myself more aware. There might even be a Paleo Diet challenge in the future.
6. Get Strong. Tone up. Get to my happy weight. During marathon training, I lost 10 pounds. I’ve since gained some of it back but I’m okay with that. I’m still about 10 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant with Madelyn. I’m not so much focused on the number of the scale as much as I am focused on feeling and looking my best. This year, I want to tone up and get stronger.
7. Take a camera class and learn how to use my camera. When I found out I was pregnant with Madelyn, we bought a fancy SLR camera. I know how to point and shoot. That is it. Because I know that camera is capable of so much more, I’m planning on taking a camera class this year to learn how to use it to its full potential.
8. Travel more. Every year Larry and I travel somewhere for our anniversary. We do this instead of buying presents. Our first year was to Door County and last year was to Michigan for wine tasting. I’d like to get out of the Midwest this next year. No set plans yet, so we’ll see. I do know that a trip to Memphis is in the books for my sister in law’s bachelorette party! Can’t wait for that 🙂
9. NASM personal training certification. Back in October, I bit the bullet and decided to start studying for my personal training certification. There are so many out there to choose from but at the end of the day I decided to go with NASM. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it yet. I have a few grand ideas floating around in my head. For now, I’d love to teach a fitness class a couple nights a week, but we’ll see what happens. I’m taking it one step at a time.
Any fun plans for this evening? Tonight we’re going to an early dinner and then heading over to my sister’s house for a NYE party. Nothing too crazy 🙂
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! See you in 2014!