Happy Fat Tuesday!! How are you celebrating? I started my morning off some juice and eggs 🙂 Wild & crazy over here, I know.
Since March is National Nutrition Month, I’m going to share with you some of my favorite foods & the benefits you reap from eating them, starting with beets.
It wasn’t until I was pregnant with Madelyn that I started to like beets. I was at the farmer’s market and thought to myself, ‘those look fun!’ So I bought them, googled how to cook beets, and the rest is history. I eat them in salads, as a side, and in JUICE.
- 1 sweet potato, 1 carrot, 1 red bell pepper, 2 red beets, 2 apples, 1 orange
- 2 beets, apple, 2 carrots, cucumber
- Apple, carrot, beet, ginger & lemon
Benefits of Eating Beets
- High in vitamins & minerals. Folic acid, iron, fiber, potassium, magnesium, Vitamins A, B, C; etc…Beets are very beneficial for woman who are pregnant because they help replenish the body’s iron supply and the B vitamins help create new cells.
- Detox the body. Beets help detox your liver, purify your blood and can even prevent some types of cancer.
- Stomach Acid Indicator. You might notice, that if you eat a lot of beets or drink a lot of beet juice, your pee turns pink. This is an indicator that you have low stomach acidity. However, if you’re drinking/eating beets and your pee afterward is clear, this is a sign of high stomach acidity and it’s time to start thinking about your diet/lifestyle.
- Beets make you happy. They contain betaine, the same substance that is used in some treatments for depression. Beets and also lower your blood pressure and give you a “sense of calm”.
Do you eat beets? What is your favorite way to eat them? I usually steam mine, slice them and add a little sprinkle of goat cheese 🙂 Makes the perfect side!